Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Olympian challenge


I went to the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan press conference by ex-Olympus CEO Michael Woodford a week back. He has exposed Olympus' shady finances (putting it mildly – the FBI and fraud offices in both Japan and the UK are now investigating). It's big news here in Japan, and Woodford is both articulate and personable in presenting it. For the FCCJ it was a very big event – 342 people present, 21 TV crews, 16 still photographers (and me). Covering it for the FCCJ's in-house magazine, Number 1 Shimbun, I didn't have to get that specific reportage shot needed for newspapers or magazines (of which, though, I did get one or two) so I used the auto-panorama function on my FujiFilm X100 to pan round the room to get the sense of crowd and interest while Woodford was speaking. Click the picture for a bigger version. And read Telegraph correspondent Julian Ryall's article (on this month's Number 1 Shimbun web version) explaining the history of how the news broke here.

No comments: